Meet our SLUG's Liason Leader, Fred Blankenburg
Father of two, dog lover, and avid fisherman, Fred has over 30 years of experience helping children and families.
Fred is currently a Supervisor at The Montgomery County Office of Children and Youth in the Family Engagement Unit. During his 25 years at the County, Fred has worked in various capacities including; working with unruly teenagers, foster care placements, and the facilitation of hundreds of family meetings. Fred also has years of experience as a live-in Childcare Worker at a group home/emergency shelter and has facilitated support groups for adopted children and their parents, grandparents caring for their grandchildren, and created a teen group for foster children.
While completing his Master’s Degree for Counseling at Villanova, Fred had an internship in ‘Adventure Based Counseling’ at an alternative school which included esteem building through high ropes challenge courses atop the trees at a local camp.
Fred is also a published songwriter and musician, and recently performed at the ‘World Meeting of Families’ week-long youth congress at the Philadelphia Convention Center in preparation for the Pope’s visit to America.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS
· Montgomery County Commitment to Excellence Award 2003
· Caseworker of the Year 2004 (Pennsylvania State Foster Parent Association)
· President; Board of Directors of ‘Caring Hands Open Hearts’ (Grandparent Support Group) 2005-2008
· Recovery and Resiliency Award 2013 (Presented by the Montgomery County Mental Health Community)
· Founding member of ‘Fathers Matter’ Coalition & Initiative since 2014
· Proud Parent since 2009